A view of the remaining metal parts of the Carmears Waterwheel with the water source above.
The Waterwheel was constructed in 1841 and brought into service in 1842
when the Carmears leat above it was completed.
The original wheel , 34 ft in diameter , was used for hauling wagons up the inclined plane until the 1870s.
When the tramway fell into disuse , after the Cornwall Minerals Railway was built,
the West of England China Clay Company built a china stone mill
and installed a new 40 ft waterwheel to drive it (used until 1908).
The Trevanny Clay Driers near the Lower Tramway are from the 1920/1960 period.
Location: SX 0657 5669