Built for Joseph Austen Treffry (1782-1850) of Fowey as part of a system to distribute Granite from his Quarries ,
Copper Ore from his Mines and China Clay from Pits North of St Austell to the port at Par.
The horse-drawn tramway ran from Bugle over the Viaduct to Ponts Mill , then a Canal ran to Par.
Completed in 1842 of huge Granite blocks , the 10 Arched Viaduct , spans 650ft , 98ft high ,
is one of Cornwalls most Impressive Industrial Monuments.
Beneath the deck of the Viaduct is a water channel to bring more water , via the Carmears Leat
to the Fowey Consols Copper Mines.
On its way the water was used to power the Carmears Inclined Plane by means of a waterwheel.
The tramway was subsequently extended to the Port at Newquay and extended to Par, replacing the canal.
Location: SX 0564 5717