The round tower (1770) , unroofed , used to house a capstan to haul , by manpower ,
the fishing boats and nets up the slipway.
A seine net fishing fleet operated in Carleon cove from the 16th century until the 19th century ,catching Pilchards .
They were then normally stacked between layers of salt for a month ,then packed in barrels and pressed
to preserve for export to Spain ,Italy and France.
Mackerel and Herring could be caught at other times of the year.
The old pilchard cellars are in ruins.
Location: SW 7280 1568