A closer view of Tunnels Beaches from the Zig zag path .
In 1823 a team of hundreds of Welsh miners hand carved tunnels through the cliffs to allow easy access
to Crewkhorne Cove , building three tidal bathing pools – two for the Ladies and one for the men.
The beaches were then renamed ‘Tunnels Beaches’.
In 1905 mixed bathing was allowed for the first time.
Today the Ladies’ pool and part of the smallest pool survive.
The entrance is near the Bath House (1836) - Runnacleave Road.
Location: SS 5102 4759