Levant Mine has a dramatic cliff-top setting .
Two engine houses are clustered around the mine’s principal shafts, Skip and Engine, sunk little more than
50 feet from each other as close to Levant Zawn and the rich undersea workings as was possible.
Levant began in 1820 and closed in 1930 ,with undersea levels stretching over a mile out under the sea
at a depth of over 600 metres.
The Small engine house contains a 24 inch steam winding engine built around 1840 by Harvey's of Hayle ,
which wound ore up from Skip Shaft . Unusually the entire beam is contained within the engine house,
Location: SW 3674 3441