The Towanroath Shaft Pumping Engine House at Wheal Coates (1/2 mile north of Chapel Porth) .
It was constructed in 1872 to pump water from the adjacent 600 feet deep Shaft
of the Wheal Coates Tin and Copper Mine (1872/1887).
Tin bearing lode was mined initially , then copper lode during the last few years of the mine.
Workings from the shaft extended for up to 450 ft under the sea .
Location: SW 6990.4996